YourGMap

Penn Valley Park-Facilities

Locations

  • 89th Division Memorial
    This memorial to the men of the 89th Division in World
    War One was dedicated November 6, 1948. The Memorial
    is in the form of an octagonal platform of concrete,
    studded with river pebbles, reminiscent of the
    cobbled roads of France. In the center, three large
    stone steps rise to a beautifully designed square
    bronze base, surmounted by a seventy foot tubular
    steel flagpole. The pole is topped by a two and a half
    foot tall eagle in gold leaf.

    The designer was Edwin Buchler Delk, Kansas City
    architect.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Baseball Diamonds
    Paul Waxie Hernandez Fields are centrally located in the
    park near the Picnic Shelter. For information about field
    reservations, sports leagues, and other activities call
    (816) 513-7500.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Charles Carroll Spalding Memorial
    The Spalding monument was erected under the auspices
    of the Missouri Valley historical Society at the cost of
    $500 which was raised by popular subscription. Charles
    Spalding was, in a sense, Kansas City's first professional
    "booster" and an early day prophet of the city's
    greatness. He was a Kansas City newspaper man before
    the Civil War. He served with Union forces and later lived
    with his wife in a small log cabin at Fifteenth and Cherry
    Street. He wrote the "Annals of the City of Kansas and
    The Great Western Plains.

    The designer is unknown. The memorial was dedicated
    June 22, 1918. The memorial is a granite boulder with
    a 1 foot 3 5/8 inches by 2 foot 2 1/4 inches brass plaque.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Commemorative Trees
    The first commemorative tree—a hackberry—was planted
    in 1932 at the northeast of Penn Valley Lake. It was
    dedicated in memory of Mrs. Harry Lee Rust, Washington
    D.C., president of Wakefield National Memorial Association,
    by the Kansas City Chapter of Colonial Dames XVII Century.

    In 1942 the Heart of America Navy Mothers Club dedicated
    a tree east if The Mall to six sons. At the same dedication
    three oak saplings were planted to young men killed in
    action on a battleship. The ceremony marked the dedication
    of a site for future memorials to sailors, marines and coast
    guardsmen. The site is the southeast corner of The Mall.

    In 1944 twenty-four oak saplings were planted, sponsored
    by the United States Army Mothers, honoring sons and
    husbands lost by members of the organization. A small
    plaque was placed at the base if each tree. Generally
    the trees planted to honor the Army men are located on
    the west side of The Mall.

    In later years, trees and plaques were dedicated to men
    from World War II. They also followed the general pattern
    of navy sailors and marine trees on the east and army
    trees on the west.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Dedication Wall
    In 1934, the Dedication Wall was built along Pershing
    Road to commemorate the 1921 dedication of the
    Liberty Memorial site. The wall holds the bronze busts
    of the five Allied leaders present at the ceremony.
    This civic event was the only time the five
    commanders were together.

    The Dedication Wall was the responsibility of W. D.
    Wight, design architect.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Firefighters' Memorial Fountain
    "They who give their lives for others shall be exalted on
    high and enshrined in our memory forever"

    Dedicated in honor of those firefighters who gave their
    lives in the line of duty, and to all of those firefighters
    who daily dedicate themselves to the protection of our
    lives and property.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Just Off Broadway
    Just Off Broadway Theater is built into the castle like ruins
    of the old Operation Plant. Kansas City's own writers,
    actors and producers showcase their newest and best
    talents in productions that entertain while strengthening
    the social fabric of the community.

    For more information, call (816) 784-5020 or visit
    www.justoffbroadway.org.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Liberty Memorial
    LIberty Memorial was dedicated in "honor of those
    who served in World War One in defense of liberty and
    our country.

    The Memorial monument originally consisted of the
    Memorial Court, The Shaft, Memorial Hall, Museum
    building and Great Frieze with fountain court. A recent
    addition is the National World War I Museum.

    The designer was Harold Van Buren Magonigle, New
    York architect. The site was dedicated on November 1,
    1921 and the memorial was dedicated on November 11,
    1926. George E. Kessler, an advisor to the Liberty
    Memorial Association and part of Magonigl'es design
    team, provided early, tentative plans for the project
    and provided guidance for the placement of the
    memorial. Hare & Hare was hired in 1928 to complete
    the work launched by the late Kessler. They designed
    the north approach and fountain court.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Memorial Hill
    On June 5, 1923, the City Council passed an ordinance
    authorizing the Liberty Memorial Association, with the
    express consent and approval of the Board of Park
    Commissioners, to erect on Memorial Hill memorials
    and other edifices and to maintain, operate and control
    the Memorial and other such edifices in perpetuity.

    The site consisted of a tract of 33 acres lying south and
    west of Station Park, containing 8 1/2 acres, and
    connecting with Penn Valley Park, which comprised
    132 acres, so that in effect, the setting of the memorial
    was to be a great park of 173 1/2 acres. An additional
    strip of land on the west side of the site, about one-
    half block in width, and extending from 24th to 27th
    streets was acquired.

    The boundaries of Memorial Hill are Main Street on the
    east, Memorial Drive on the south, Kessler Road on
    the west and Pershing Road on the north.

    Memorial Hill contains the Liberty Memorial, the
    National World War I Museum, the Liberty Memorial Mall, the
    Dedication Wall and several other memorials.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Memorial Mall
    Memorial Mall is the southern entrance to the Liberty
    Memorial. It is a parkway consisting of parallel
    entrances roads separated by a level grassy area.
    The southerly end was determined by the
    meeting point of several important park roads.

    The Avenue of Trees on either side of the road featured
    a double row of sugar maples immediately next to the
    drives, followed by rows of hawthorns and finally
    pin oaks. West and east of the formal rows of trees are
    more naturalistic placed tree groupings. Winding
    walks on either side feature stone steps.

    The entire surface of the Mall has a beautiful catenary
    curve, the lowest point being at about one-third the
    distance from the southerly point of the entrance to
    the monument. A straight line would have been stiff
    and unbeautiful. The cross section of the Mall was
    also carefully studied to produce harmonious
    interrelations between its several planes.

    -----------------------------------------
  • National World War I Museum
    The National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial is the
    only American museum solely dedicated to preserving the
    objects, history and personal experiences of a war whose
    impact still echoes today. The Museum is built under the
    iconic Liberty Memorial Shaft and was designed by Ralph
    Appelbaum. Housing more than 50,000 objects, the
    Museum uses interactive technology, along with its
    world-class collect, to tell the story of the war through
    the eyes of those who lived it.

    Call (816) 784-1918 or visit "http://www.theworldwar.org/"
    for details.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Off-Leash Dog Park
    Officially opened in April of 2004, the Penn Valley Dog
    Park is a 2.7 acre fenced off-leash area with double-gated
    entries for safety. It offers water fountains for people and
    dogs, as well as a spigot for filling water bottles. The Dog
    Park is open seven days a week from dawn until one hour
    after dusk.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Picnic Shelter & Playground
    You can picnic almost anywhere in Penn Valley Park.
    There is a Shelter House located near the baseball
    diamonds. This shelter can be used on a first-come
    basis. Tables, restrooms and a playground are also
    in this area.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Pioneer Mother Memorial
    The Pioneer Mother Memorial was dedicated in 1927.
    Howard Vanderslice sponsored this memorial in
    remembrance of all pioneer mothers who crossed
    the plains, including his partents who migrated
    northward from Kentucky to Kansas territory after
    his birth.

    The sculpture took four years to complete. The
    plaster models were made in New York and then
    shipped to Rome for final casting.

    The designer was Alexander Phimister Proctor,
    NY sculptor and Wight & Wight Architects
    designed the pedestal.

    -----------------------------------------

  • Santa Fe Trail Marker
    On May 2, 1905 a party of old residents, who had freighted
    over the Santa Fe Trail, were invited to tour the city and
    relocate the trail. Markers were erected on park property
    where fragments of the original trail were found.

    The markers are of rose granite with bronze plaques. The
    marker in Penn Valley Park had been relocated south
    of the Liberty Memorial entrance but is currently in
    storage awaiting reinstallation at the original site.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Skateboard Park
    The 10,000 square foot Penn Valley Skate Park was
    officially opened in 2006. Features include a square
    shallow end with metal coping, "clamshell" mid
    section with tile and pool coping. There is a euro
    gap, eight stair with handrail and ledges on both
    sides, big dirt gap with a small one next t it, a big
    four stair with a rail, picnic table, a hip, a 10' deep
    huge bowl.

    -----------------------------------------

  • Tennis Courts
    39.0744°, -94.5923°

    -----------------------------------------
  • The Hiker
    "Hiker" was the name given to infantrymen of the
    Spanish American War, the Philppine Insurrection
    and the China Relief Expedition, later name became
    the "Doughboy" of the First World War and the "G.I."
    of the Second World War.

    The Hiker commemorates the veterans of the three
    conflicts at the turn of the century. The bronze statue,
    weighing 1200 lbs., is of a soldier eight feet five
    inches high standing on a block of Georgia marble.

    The designer was Theo A. R. Kitson, Massachusetts
    sculptures and dedicated on November 9, 1947.

    -----------------------------------------
  • The Scout
    The Scout, originally executed by Cyrus E. Dallin for
    the Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco, won
    a gold metal in 1915. On its way back east, the statue
    was exhibited on a temporary basis in Penn Valley Park.
    It was so well received by Kanas Citians, that "the Kids
    of Kansas City Fund" was created to buy it. The fund
    raised $15,000 in nickels and dimes. The Statue was
    dedicated in 1922 as a memorial to the local Native
    American tribes.

    The larger than life-sized figure represents a Sioux
    Scout on horseback returning from a hunting trip.
    He sits warily astride his horse with bow in hand,
    looking for game. in today's context, he seems to be
    contemplating the changes in the plains that he once
    roamed so freely.

    -----------------------------------------
  • Washington Lake
    39.0779°, -94.5925°

    -----------------------------------------

Sponsored Links